A Grib reader & visualizer is only as good at the Gribs it can read. Likewise Grib files from any particular source are only as good as the package that reads and visualizes them. This is the essence of the drive behind this site - to fuel the symbiosis of providing the best free and open Grib reader (namely XyGrib) together with the best free and open data in Grib form both from the OpenGribs'-XyGrib own built-in Grib server and also from our sister site OpenSkiron.org
There are numerous new sources of Grib data that have recently become available as a result of new legislation in the EU regarding access to all data that governmental bodies produce. Most of this data is not in easily usable form and requires a go-between to cut, roll and wrap the data in usable form for the average user. This is what we will be doing here.
There are two methods of obtaining Grib files. XyGrib's built-in Grib server interface can be used to download custom Gribs on the demand by the user or external pre-cut and packaged Grib files from other sources can be loaded for use.
Custom Gribs created on demand - now from OpenGribs' new grib server
With XyGrib version 1.1.0 our own grib server entered service and with version 1.2.0 additional regional models have been added. The concept is similar to previous versions - select your desired area, length of forecast and other meta parameters. Finally choose the weather parameters that you wish to be included.
The new major addition to the above is that you now can choose between 9 Atmospheric models and 3 Wave models while defining your download. These are described below. In addition the generated Grib files are Grib2 files that include internal packing hence the bz2 compression is not used.
Global Atmospheric models
- GFS - NOAA-GFS model - Resolutions: 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 deg - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-10
- ICON - DWD-ICON-GLOBAL model - Resolution: 0.25 deg - Cycles: 00, 12 UTC - Days: 1-7.5
- Arpege - MeteoFrance-Arpege model - Resolution: 0.5 deg - Cycles: 00, 12 UTC - Days: 1-4
- ECMWF (Limited Free Version) - Resolution: 0.5 deg - Cycles: 00, 12 UTC - Days: 1-10, Step: 24hr
Global Wave Models
- WW3 - NOAA-WW3 model (global without Mediterranean Sea) - Resolution: 0.5 deg - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-8
- GWAM - DWD-WAM model (global including Mediterranean Sea) - Resolution: 0.25 deg - Cycles: 00, 12 UTC - Days: 1-8
Wide Area Regional Atmospheric Models
- NAM-CONUS - NOAA-NAM model for Continental US - Resolution: 0.11 deg (12 km) - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-4 - Step: 1hr
- NAM-CACBN- NOAA-NAM model for Central America & Carribbean - Resolution: 0.11 deg (12 km) - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-4 - Step: 1hr
- NAM-CONUS - NOAA-NAM model for NE Pacific (Hawaii) - Resolution: 0.11 deg (12 km) - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-4 - Step: 1hr
- ICON-EU - DWD-ICON-EU Nest model - Resolution: 0.05 deg - Cycles: 00, 06, 12 UTC - Days: 1-5 - Step: 1hr
- Arpege-EU - MeteoFrance-Arpege EU Nest model - Resolution: 0.1 deg - Cycles: 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC - Days: 1-3 - Step: 1hr
Wide Area Regional Wave Models
- EWAM - DWD-WAM model (European waters and Mediterranean Sea) - Resolution 0.05 x 0.05 deg - Cycles: 00, 12 UTC - days 1-4
Pre-cut and packaged Gribs
In this case the provider decides on the area coverage, the number of forecast time steps and on which mix of variables will be included in the files. The files are posted on-line and the user downloads the files that suit his needs and then opens them in the Grib reader.
With a particular audience in mind this approach works quite well.
Sources of free & open pre-cut Gribs that are compatible with XyGrib
- openWRF Gribs at 12km and 4km resolutions produced by openSkiron are available on our sister site openSkiron.org
- openSkiron Gribs at 11km resolution produced by the University of Athens are available on openSkiron.org
- ICON EU NEST Gribs at 7km resolution produced by the German DWD are available on openSkiron.org
- COSMO-DE Gribs ast 2.2km resolution produced by the German DWD are also available on openSkiron.org
- Meteo Consult Gribs at 4km resolution (wind only), produced by Meteo Consult are available on Meteo Consult
- Arpege Global at 0.5° and Europe at 0.1° resolutions produced by Meteo France in Grib 2 format are available at Meteo France
- Arome regional model at 0.025° & 0.001° resolutions produced by Meteo France in Grib 2 format are available at Meteo France and/or at Weather4D
- Harmonie regional model at 2.5km resolution produced by Netherlands KNMI in Grib 2 format are available at Euros Zeilen
- Hirlam regional model at 5km resolution produced by Norwegian Meteorological Institute and NRK are available at om.yr.no
- The German Hydrographic Office produces GRIB files for the currents in the N Sea, Elbe and Baltic at this link
- Surface currents produce by Iberia-Biscay-Ireland Monitoring and Forecasting Centre (IBI-MFC) and available on MyOcean and on openSkiron
- Expedition publishes a set of WRF GRIB files for locations without freely available high resolution data on expeditionmarine.com
This list is by no means complete and it will be expanded as new sources are checked