Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
26 Sep 2020
No bulk downloads - PLEASE! THIS IS OVERLOADING OUR SERVER AND DENYING ACCESS TO COMMUNITY USERS
SVP - Pas de téléchargement en masse ! Cela surcharge le serveur et empêche la communauté d'utilisateurs d'accéder aux données

TOPIC:

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 4 weeks ago #683

• rickp
  • rickp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Why does the installation do everything possible to avoid installation without me giving it root privileges? The fact that you demand it for installation into a user owned directory smacks of malware.

Remove the root requirement, and I'll happily install it. Until then, I just don't trust random software downloaded from the net enough.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 4 weeks ago #684

• DomH
  • La voile est ma passion
  • Thank you received: 26
Hello,
The source code is available and you can check all the details to look if the application has all the secure criteria you wish.
You can without problem install from source code and then decide where you wish to have the apps.
Right now the install is debian rules compatible which will allow to include the app in the debian repositories (the day a volonteer is ready to spend sometimes on that, as our team is small and we do not have all the time to do everything.
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 4 weeks ago #685

• rickp
Yes, I can check the source (though a quick grep for 'sudo' turns up nothing which means I need to do much further digging).
That tells me nothing about what the binary you want me to download and run does though. You need to be much clearer about why you need root. Right now it just looks like the laziest of programmers, or worse.

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 3 weeks ago #686

Hi,
You have the simple option of downloading the sources from github (opengribs/xygrib) and build it yourself. Then you can place the application wherever you desire. There is an install file with instructions.
David

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 3 weeks ago #687

• rickp
I note that you still won't say why it requires root for installation.
Be wary folks, you have no idea what they could be installing....

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 3 weeks ago #688

Hi rickp,

Root privilege is required during installation to place the binary application files in the location that conforms to the particular Linux disto's guidlines. This may be in "/opt" or it may be in "/usr/local/share/applications", "/usr/share/applications". For OSx it is in "/Applications" and for Windows it is in "C:/Program Files"

All the above locations require sudo / administrator rights. Simply, all operating systems have preferred locations for third party applications and publish specific guidelines on this. They also require that whoever is installing a third party software in the system, he or she should have root or admin rights. It is the operating systems way of determining that a competent person is installing third party software.

The QT installer system used by XyGrib adheres to all three OS guidelines as do most third party software installers. All this is intended to protect you! Not to harm you.

XyGrib provides installer packages as 95% of users are not necessarily power users and prefer a simple installer rather than dealing with compiling and building the application themselves. We are providing a free and open community service to tens of thousands of satisfied users with over a thousand downloads of weather data from our grib server every day. All this without a single complaint of evil doing as you so eloquently insinuate.

Best wishes to you,
David

Last edit: by davidgal.
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds

Resources on this site will always be free and open with no commercialization. However, operating costs of the servers to pre-process and deliver GRIB files to XyGrib are not trivial.

If you found the site useful, please share in the effort and help keep us up and running

Please Support

Go to top