Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
26 Sep 2020
No bulk downloads - PLEASE! THIS IS OVERLOADING OUR SERVER AND DENYING ACCESS TO COMMUNITY USERS
SVP - Pas de téléchargement en masse ! Cela surcharge le serveur et empêche la communauté d'utilisateurs d'accéder aux données

TOPIC:

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 1 month ago #696

• DomH
  • La voile est ma passion
  • Thank you received: 26
Hello,
You are right to discuss the way of distributing an application, but it is always useful to check what was done before.
We had a lot of discussion about the way of packaging XyGrib. You'll find most of them in this forum and in the github (github.com/opengribs/XyGrib/issues).
As well you'll find a .deb package (last version) here : github.com/dominiquehausser/XyGrib/releases. And packages for other distro are also mentionned in the download page (opengribs.org/en/downloads).
In summary and in opposition of what you seem to think, we really work hard to respect open source rules.
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 1 month ago #702

I registered to this forum to support rickp: I am a reasonably competent Apple developer, and the way this is provided for MacOS is utterly non professional. It is not true that installing an application on MacOS requires administrator privilege. There are standard ways to do this on the MacOS platform, that Xygrib deliberately violates. This is not acceptable. And saying here that users can always go back to the source is so full of spite and arrogance, I will not even comment on that.

So please take a step back: getting and using user land software should not require admin privilege. This is definitely true on Mac. Simply provide a .dmg containing the app. Then the user can choose to drag and drop it wherever she wants.

Why I won't install Xygrib 4 years 1 month ago #703

• DomH
  • La voile est ma passion
  • Thank you received: 26

jdmuys wrote: I registered to this forum to support rickp: I am a reasonably competent Apple developer, and the way this is provided for MacOS is utterly non professional. It is not true that installing an application on MacOS requires administrator privilege. There are standard ways to do this on the MacOS platform, that Xygrib deliberately violates. This is not acceptable. And saying here that users can always go back to the source is so full of spite and arrogance, I will not even comment on that.

So please take a step back: getting and using user land software should not require admin privilege. This is definitely true on Mac. Simply provide a .dmg containing the app. Then the user can choose to drag and drop it wherever she wants.

Hi,
Arrogance is probably a wrong word, as we are a very small volounteer team to propose the XyGrib tool with a GPL licence and access to open weather data with this tool.
As you mentioned to be a competent Apple developper, we will be very happy if you prepare a dmg package and store it on a repository that is convenient for MacOS system users and we will of course mention it on the download page as we do for mint and debian/ubuntu linux packages.
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds

Resources on this site will always be free and open with no commercialization. However, operating costs of the servers to pre-process and deliver GRIB files to XyGrib are not trivial.

If you found the site useful, please share in the effort and help keep us up and running

Please Support

Go to top